Navajo Head Start Eligibility
Children are eligible to participate in Head Start or Early Head Start with age and income eligibility.
- Age eligibility is determined by verifying age utilizing the child’s birth certificate. Head Start child must turn three (3) years old by September 1, 2012.
Early Head Start Age
- Pregnant Women Program: Provides services to expectant mothers.
- Infant and Toddler Program: Provides services from children zero to three years of age.
Head Start Age
- Child must be 36 months (3 years old) to Mandatory School Age Cut Off Date
- Income eligibility is determined by verifying the family’s income using pay stubs, income tax form 1040, W-2 forms, and written statements from employers or documentation showing current status as recipients of public assistance. Navajo Head Start must serve all income eligible children before enrolling high income families.
Children with Disabilities
Children professionally diagnosed with a disability and have a current Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) or Individualized Education Plan (IEP) is given preference. Navajo Head Start must enroll ten percent (10%) of its funded enrollment with children with disabilities.
Required Documents for Eligibility:
- Birth Certificate
- Income Documentation
- Current Income Tax Form 1040
- Current W-2 Form
- Current Pay Stubs
- Documentation from any public assistance program
Navajo Head Start completes a selection process to accept children with the most need and begins enrollment. During enrollment families will be notified to complete their enrollment packets needed before the child enters the Center/Classroom.
- Certificate of Indian Blood
- Parental Consent
- Updated Emergency Contacts
- Applicable Health Service consent Form
- Child Authorization Release Form
- Current Immunization, if available
- Legal Guardianship*
*A child under the care of a relative or guardian must provide a Legal Guardianship document.
Additional Documents may be requested upon acceptance:
- Updated Emergency Contacts
- Current Immunization
- Health Information and Consents
- Enrollment Consents
All Head Start children returning for a second year must have income re-verified. Returning students for Head Start and Early Head Start automatically are income eligible for 2 years. An Early Head Start child returning remains eligible up to age three (3). Once the child turns three (3), the family will transition to Head Start Program. The family’s income must be re-verified and must re-apply for Head Start Program.
Transfer of Students
Every child/parent has a right to transfer their child(ren) to another Head Start Region upon the availability of the Head Start, and in compliance with ERSEA guidelines and existing waiting lists when applicable.
All children upon applying are placed on a waiting list and during the school year for children who are not enrolled, center has met its funded enrollment until a vacancy occurs.
The Navajo Head Start Enrollment Packet contains 6 pages:
- Check List
- Enrollment Application
- Family Information, Income & Contacts
- Applicant Eligibility & Enrollment Info.
- NHS Regional Manager Contact List
- Additional Children Form